If you think you may be pregnant, you should consult with your GP as early as possible.


Most benefits and additional student support are only available once your baby is born (i.e. Child Benefit, Universal Credit). Details of these can be given by UUSU Advice Bureau, Student Support or your local advice centre. You can prepare by filling in as much of the form as possible and then completing final information like your child’s date of birth when you know the details and have the evidence. This will save you having to try and complete the forms when you are also trying to look after a new born baby.

SureStart Maternity Grant

If you’re on a low income and get certain benefits or tax credits, you could get a Sure Start Maternity Grant. This is a one-off, tax-free payment to help towards the cost of maternity and baby items.


Usually to qualify for a Sure Start Maternity Grant there must be no other children in your family and you must get one of the following benefits:

      If you already have children under 16

You may still be able to get a grant if either:

·         you’re expecting a multiple birth, such as twins;

·         the child you’re caring for is someone else's (but not your partner’s) and the child was over 12 months old when the           arrangement started.

      If you're not giving birth

You may be able to get a grant if a dependant of yours, who is under 20 years of age and who you receive benefit for, is:

·         expecting their first child;

·         expecting a multiple birth (twins or triplets) and have children already.

You may also be able to get a grant if you’re adopting or becoming a surrogate parent.

The baby must be less than one year old on the date you claim. You must get one of the benefits above and one of the following must apply:

·         you’ve become responsible for the baby and you’re not the mother;

·         the baby has been placed with you for adoption;

·         you’ve got permission to adopt a baby from abroad;

·         you’ve got a parental order for a surrogate birth;

·         you’ve been appointed as guardian;

·         you’ve an adoption or a residence order.

      How much you'll get

A Sure Start Maternity Grant is £500 and you don’t have to pay it back.

      If you already have children

If you already have children under 16, you can only get a grant if you’re expecting a multiple birth. You will receive £500 if you are expecting twins and £1000 if you are expecting triplets.

Get in touch